Friday, 19 June 2015

Vlog Addiction




It's 2am, I can't sleep, I have a cup of tea in a Cath Kidston mug by my side, and a vlog playing on my laptop. Or maybe it's not that I can't sleep... perhaps if I found the will power to stop watching month after month of Anna, or Sammi, or the Saccone-Joly's addictive vlogs (video-blogs), simply closed my laptop, gulped down the final dregs of my brew, and shut my eyes, I would drift off... Maybe, just maybe, it's the vlogs that are keeping me awake... 

What I'm trying to hint at here, is that I'm pretty much addicted to vlogs. I don't know why I find watching the daily lives of other people so bloody interesting, but I do. I'm just a bit nosey. 

With vlogs, especially daily or frequent vloggers, I find that I become so involved in the lives of people that I've never met. Take the adorable Saccone-Joly family for example: I have been watching them everyday since their first child, Emilia, was a tiny baby. This September she'll be three, and every single day of her life is available to view on YouTube. Regular watchers become familiar with how she loves Mini Mouse, now goes to nursery a couple of times a week, has recently had her nap time cut down and has a best friend called Lily. The concept of publishing your life on the internet is fairly odd. My mom would probably call it voyeurism, and although she enjoys watching Emilia's cute antics every now and then, she doesn't fully approve. But arguments aside, when these vloggers share so much of their everyday life, audience members become very informed and consumed, which I think heightens the addictive nature of their videos. 

Although the concept of vlogging may seem strange when I stop and consider it, there are benefits to vlog watching. After a busy day, it's lovely to come home, flop on the bed and watch a cheerful Estée strolling with her dog, Reggie, and then exploring a quirky London museum. It's therapeutic to immerse myself in somebody else's life for a while - and stop over thinking about small things in my own. So, vlogs are good for a bit of relaxation and stress relief. 

However, after I've been lying in bed in the morning for three hours, allowing the YouTube autoplay to persuade me to watch vlog after vlog, I start to see the irony in my addiction. Why am I lazing about in my pyjamas with the curtains drawn at 12pm, watching strangers live their lives, while I'm wasting my own day? 

It's all about balance. It's absolutely fine to watch a few vlogs with a brew after coming home from a day at uni, it's a stress reliever and can provide me with inspiration. In many ways I'm envious of the lives of vloggers, because many of them work for themselves, blogging, vlogging and going to events for a living. But I need to calm my addiction slightly and realise that I'm wasting so much time when I get drawn into a vlog marathon... I could be doing something productive with my day, like the vloggers I am goggling at! 

There definitely is a paradox here... some vloggers such as Lily Pebbles and Vivianna Does Makeup have recently inspired me to start a blog again - hence Polly Cat Contemplates! But when I could be writing blog posts or taking blog photos, you can often find me curled up in my sea of scatter cushions, re-watching and re-watching their weekly vlogs. 

I need to tell myself again: It's all about balance.

It's not going to be easy, but I really should lay off the excessive viewing. As I talked about in my post about books, I've been getting into reading again lately, so hopefully I'll be able to swap a few vlogs a day with a few chapters of a good novel. 

As much as I love vlogs, I accept that they are a huge source of time wasting for me. I should be living my life instead of watching others live theirs! So, I'm going to cut down on my vlog watching and shake off my paradoxical addiction. 


Polly 
x

11 comments:

  1. great post Polly! All you can do is try your best! They can also be an entertaining part of your day too but maybe in moderation! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hollie! Yep, defo in moderation haha! x

      Delete
  2. This is such a great post, I get lost in the world of vlogging too, it's so hard to step back and enjoy your own life! Good luck, maybe i'll give this a go too!

    Emma-Hope || carpediememmie.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emma! I completely understand... good luck to you too! ;) x

      Delete
  3. I went through a time when I used to watch Tanya Burr's blogs all the time! I love being able to see other places more than what the actual vlogger is doing and I'm always like: "it looks so beautiful there. Those flowers are amazing! Look at that dog!" Hahaha! xo

    http://novellette.com
    https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12522799

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahhaa! Watching vlogs is a good way to get a feel for other places... especially because YouTubers are lucky enough to be able to travel lots! xx

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you've made an excellent point: It's so easy to get addicted to vlogs but it's also important to live your own life. If I have a day off then I usually check my YouTube subscriptions first to see if there's anything new, but I try not to spend too much time watching them. Lovely post!xx

    Toasty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth! When I waste time binge watching vlogs I just feel so lazy... it's not worth it! xx

      Delete
  6. I LOVE VLOGS! I was so excited to read you are a fan of estee and the saccone-jolys, they are some one my favourites! If you love a good family vlog then I would recommend the shaytards, although i don't want to fuel the addiction (but i have it too hehe!) I find them addictive not because I am nosey or anything but because i find that they inspire me, plus i like to see people sharing the things that they love, just like we do as bloggers!
    I am excited to read more from you as i just discovered you today and loved this post!

    emilyspolkadotsocks.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh Estee and the Saccone-Joly's are so fab! I used to watch the Shaytards too! For some reason I went off them though?! I agree with you about it being fab to see people share what they love :D Thank you for your lovely comment Emily! :) x

      Delete