Monday, 31 August 2015

Life is a Journey...




It's all the rage these days to go travelling. Apparently, going travelling is necessary to "find yourself" and be a wise twenty-something who understands life. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little... But, I have to admit, I've never felt the urge to go meandering around the world for months on end, it's just not something I've ever envisioned myself doing. I feel like this is a rather un-stereotypical and against the grain thing to admit for a person of my generation. 

But I am keen to visit many countries and experience different cultures, and whenever I do go abroad, I always make the effort to break away from the touristy areas and see the real country. However, I'm not so eager to go on a prolonged trip for weeks and weeks, and would rather go on several shorter excursions... Maybe I'm just unadventurous, but there you go.

I am a bit of a worrier, and being away from home and routine for so long does scare me rather a lot. I hope me not-wanting-to-go-travelling doesn't make me sound ignorant, or even arrogant... I do want to see and appreciate other cultures.

Travelling for a long time wasn't always the "in" thing to do. My parents often say it wasn't as common when they were my age. My mom did go inter-railing for a month however, zooming across Europe on a train with a friend and getting ripped off by a mean restaurateur in Italy. I bet my mom loved it despite the ripping off aspect, she bloody adores trains! I think I'd suit that kind of travelling more... Inter-railing has a bit more structure and security, and you can do it for a shorter amount of time but still see many, many places.  

Ultimately though, I couldn't go travelling right now even if I wanted to, as I just don't have the money! Fingers crossed, in the future I'll be able to go on lots of trips and see countless cultures and do some volunteering too. But I'm not worried about not "finding myself" too much... I think there's plenty of ways to discover who you are, be it through travelling, writing, going to university, or just simply by getting older... life is a journey, regardless if you're on a physical one or not. 


Polly 
x

9 comments:

  1. I loved reading this post, and I really like the photo! Your writing style is amazing and so interesting to read, I thoroughly enjoyed it! Posts like this are so interesting and exciting :) xxx
    http://www.life-by-becky.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://bit.ly/Kg6Op8 The successful downsizing is a better sweet I have put

    a lot of sweat tears and money into this business and now some one else will benefit! http://bit.ly/Kg6Op8

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have visited a plenty of countries and even went on a solo trip for a few months... What I can say is it's very common to think that you will find yourself. And I was the same. But recently I understood that you shouldn't find yourself, but create yourself. That's more organized and productive approach. Of course you change when you travel, you become open minded most of the time. And then you come back home with new thoughts, ideas and views and start creating yourself new.

    I love travelling as well. I have always saved money to buy a ticket somewhere instead of going to the club or buying a new phone. It really the best activity you can do for yourself :)

    Have a lovely time in London.

    Katya

    www.okbutfirstcoffee.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to travel. Travelling is very much 'the thing' to do. The thing that stops me is money and education - I work full time and all of my income going on bills so I never have any to save for travelling. Then education - I'm about to start a masters degree that'll take 3-5 years part time alongside my day job. It costs a couple of thousand pounds per year... I could do some great travelling on that, but I guess I'll finish my education first then I can travel later in life. I'll get to go abroad as part of my course because I'm going to study zoo conservation biology. :D

    Don't be disheartened though, like you say everything in life is a journey. Plus, you can discover places closer to home for a smaller price tag. When's the last time you looked at your own city through the eyes of a tourist? I've been making an effort to see some of the great attractions in my own city and to visit other UK cities. These mini adventures have been great fun!

    Michelle -x-

    PS. I nominated you for the Liebster award.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been in a lot of places but I haven't found myself yet. I still travel though.

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone travels differently. Some like to explore every inch of the country and interact with locals, some like to stay at exotic hotels and enjoy the view from their windows. I'm not a fan of the touristy things because most of them are gimmicks to fool unsuspecting people. What I like best is leaving behind everything that stresses me out and being a child again on holiday.
    I loved reading this. It's a lovely insight into someone else's idea of travel.
    x
    Aria | Girl in a Whimsical Land

    ReplyDelete
  7. Travelling is always said to be a way to find yourself, but really it's just one of SO many ways to! I haven't travelled much in my life but the few places I've been to, I've learnt a lot - I wouldn't say they helped me find myself though! In my third year I'll be living in Japan, and I really feel like that will be a learning curve! x

    vvnightingale.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am an avid traveller and I must admit, it is an amazing experience and you do learn so much about yourself whilst doing it. But, it's not for everyone and it's important to remember that and it's ok! There are plenty of ways you can 'find yourself' without going abroad! xx

    Sam // Samantha Betteridge

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved reading this post! I haven't travelled to many places cause I'm a bit like you and am a worrier. Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels like this

    ReplyDelete