Monday, 24 August 2015

Moor Street Station




When naming Birmingham's train stations, most would put Birmingham New Street at the top of their list, but Brum is also home to the charming Moor Street Station. The terminus is just a stroll away from the once brutalist and now futurist New Street, which is well known for being dingy, dark and disliked. The antique Moor Street contrasts hugely with much of Birmingham's architecture, but despite being tucked just a few yards behind the busy Bull Ring, it doesn't seem to be very well known. 







Last year, four of my friends and I headed to London for the day to celebrate my eighteenth. Our train was from Moor Street, and much to my surprise, a couple of my friends had never been. They loved the station's nostalgic atmosphere and felt as if they were on Platform 9 3/4! But Moor Street Station wasn't always so well looked after. Since opening in 1909, the terminus has been messed about with rather a lot... being opened, closed, reopened, left to decay etc... Thankfully, the original station was not demolished, and after decades of being unappreciated, it was decided in the 2000's that the station would be refurbished in the gorgeous 1930's style, hence the signage, benches and clock. I adore the black and white signs that sit proudly above commuters... they're just so simple and feel so British. I wish that New Street Station had been refurbished in a 1930's style too... that's never going to happen, but a girl can dream! 






Being a terminus, Moor Street has a compact feeling that New Street could never emulate with it being such a busy and large station. Moor Street's concourse is home to two refreshment rooms, the Centenary Lounge, decorated in an Art Deco style and complete with a fireplace, and the (wittily named) Moor...ish. Both offer plenty of seating, and in such a beautiful, light filled building, it is very tempting to sit yourself down and take it all in! The flower kiosk is another quirky addition, and I've even been to a market at the station, selling arty and crafty bits and bobs... it is such a lovely location. 

So many people unfairly label Birmingham as an ugly city with a lack of character and old architecture. Moor Street Station defies this stereotype and is an old fashioned gem in a modern metropolis. Although half of me wishes it was more well known, the other half enjoys how it's a quiet treasure, standing politely and courteously just yards away from its futuristic neighbours. 

Polly 
x

14 comments:

  1. Like you said, before reading this post I could only name New Street station in Birmingham, and like many I find it absolutely hideous. This station on the other hand is beautiful and I love how it's character has been maintained so tastefully through renovation and up-keep. Love the 'moor...ish' name haha! Thanks for sharing this Polly!

    Beth xx

    http://livingforthegoodlife.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is so different to New Street! Thank you for the lovely comment :) xx

      Delete
  2. Oh my God what a beautiful station. I love vintage architecture so much.

    - Wildfire Charm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very lovely :)

    http://sbr-fashion-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a lovely place! I have nominated you for the Liebster Award. There are more detail on my latest post if you would like to take part. =^-^=

    Sam | Momentarily Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so lovely! I go to university in Birmingham and never knew what moor street was like, I assumed it was like new street. I'll make sure I find a reason to have a little look this year!

    www.dimpl3dbrunette.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely have a look at Moor Street, it's only a 3 minute walk from the bull ring! :) x

      Delete
  6. I love how they decided to refurbish it in a 1930s style, it looks amazing! I love going to train stations like this, they have so much character!

    The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I'm sooo glad they didn't modernise it :) x

      Delete
  7. I used to live right next to this station while I was at uni in Birmingham! Its so pretty in there! x

    Amreeta | curlyneedle.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is truly an amazing building! I love the black and white signs as well, very British indeed!
    Clem I Ravacholle

    ReplyDelete