Monday, 4 July 2016

My First Waxing Experience!




For my holiday to Corfu, I decided that I just could not be arsed with shaving my legs. I couldn't be bothered with doing shower yoga everyday to remove stubble from my pins and adding a good few minutes onto my routine each day. Not to mention probably giving myself razor burn and cuts and rashes in the process... not when I'm on my hols, no siree. 

So I plucked up the courage and booked myself in for a wax. Having silky smooth, totally hair free legs for at least a couple of weeks sounded ideal, and I was actually kinda excited to have hot sticky wax smothered on my shins and have the satisfaction of watching my pesky hairs be violently ripped out... I hope that doesn't sound too weird! 

The Tuesday before my holiday (two days before takeoff) was the big day... wax day. To be honest, I was nervous. I didn't think I would be. I've always prided myself on having a pretty high pain tolerance, passed down from my grandmother - definitely not my mom, there is no way on earth that she would willingly have someone rip hairs out of her little leggies. What I found most nerve-wracking wasn't actually the prospect of pain however, but simply just stepping inside the shop. I know it was silly, but the perfectly preened ladies behind the desk intimidated me... Did I look like the type that goes for a wax?! Was my makeup okay?! Did I look a tad sweaty from my little walk to the salon from the bus?! All these silly and unnecessary thoughts prevented me from tentatively pushing open the shop door until the clock told me I really had to. Also, I was somewhat embarrassed about there being a busy coffee shop right next door... and the salon being on a very busy road in general. I felt like I was wearing a huge placard with I'M ABOUT TO GET MY HAIRY LEGS WAXED plastered on it. Not that there's anything wrong or embarrassing about having a wax (or hairy legs) in the slightest... But for some reason I couldn't help feeling kind of flustered and shy. 

Fortunately, I managed to enter the salon, tell the woman behind the desk my name and sit myself in the waiting area successfully. A few minutes later a pretty, cheery girl, only a year or two older than myself called my name and took me through to the back... There was no backing out at this point... and I felt ready. I was led into a little treatment room and basically told to strip off - well only my jeans (thankfully haha). 


The "therapist" (as they call them for some reason... can't say I found waxing therapeutic but hey-ho) got what looked like a massive lolly pop stick out and began to smear yellowy, sticky, warm wax onto my pins. It was definitely hotter than I expected. Bearable, but hot. Rather than doing it in little sections, my whole entire leg was coated in the stuff... wowzers. Next came the first strip... there really was absolutely no backing out now - I had a leg saturated with wax, and there was only one way to get it off... Rip! Ouch. Okay, I admit...it hurt. Again it was bearable, but defo no picnic. Next strip, rip, ouch. Net strip, rip, ouch. This went on and on, I couldn't help notice how bloody long my legs are haha! My therapist was lovely and made the whole experience ten times better than it could have been. We nattered the whole time - we got on like a house on fire! I didn't feel embarrassed or self-conscious. I kept in mind that the therapist sees countless various body parts every week. They've seen it all before...  so best not to overthink that part. 

One thing I didn't expect was quite how sweaty getting waxed can be... sorry if this is gross but this post is an honest one! The treatment room was very compact and my bottom half was coated in hot wax, couple this with the pain... and I'm not ashamed to admit that I had quite a sweat on. My therapist said this was totally normal, and that she thinks you haven't been for a good wax if you don't break out in a sweat! 

Although it was bearable, I was bloody glad when it was over. I was disappointed that there were quite a few hairs that had been stubborn and refused to come out. Maybe my legs weren't gonna be all that silky smooth after all. My therapist had warned me of this before she started however, so I wasn't angry or anything! Just a bit disappointed... all that pain and not even a hairless leg! I think she said it was because I don't wax regularly... or maybe some hairs weren't quite long enough... either way it didn't matter too much in the long run. The left over hairs were so light and fair that they were hardly noticeable.

I left the salon feeling slightly sticky and slimy thanks to the soothing gel stuff they slather on you at the end, but also feeling rather accomplished. I hadn't cried, or even whimpered. I'd been a trooper. 

One thing that I found interesting about the whole waxing experience was that it did me good to grow out my leg hair. I used to be so self-conscious about having dark hairs and felt like my legs never looked smooth even when I shaved them meticulously. Growing the hair out for a wax meant I had to deal with having hairy legs. And it really wasn't that bad. I realised that I'd over exaggerated how furry they were in my mind and that in reality, they are a pretty normal pair of pins that grow a pretty normal amount of hair. I'd also been a bit embarrassed about having hairy legs around Tom too, but he didn't mind, or if he did he kept it to himself anyway! He's a good egg. I also want to say that if you want to rock your hairy legs and say "screw you" to hair removal, good for you! Whether you go for a natural look or prefer to be hair-free, it's all good! :) 

My holiday has been and gone now and I defo have some regrowth. Although most of it is probably down to the fact that I did cave and  end up shaving the stubborn remaining hairs after a week or so. I'm crossing my fingers that I won't get dreaded ingrown hairs like I did when I epilated my legs a couple of years ago... they were a nightmare. I've been exfoliating and moisturizing lots, so hopefully that''ll help prevent those little bastards. 

So that's pretty much all I have to say on the topic. I'm glad that I went for the wax as it did  make it so much quicker to get ready on holiday and made me feel more confident in a bikini. I hope this helps any of you waxing newbies out there! 


Polly 
x

6 comments:

  1. You're so brave. I've put off getting my legs waxed for so many years. I hope you had a nice holiday! xo

    https://57-days.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/4-goals-for-next-3-months.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too! But I'm glad I did it for my holiday... can't say I'll be becoming a frequent waxer though haha! Thank you :) xx

      Delete
  2. I've been waxing since I was twelve and let me tell you, it hurts more if you shave between two sessions because the hair grows back thicker. I did that once and ended up with so many ingrown hairs. It was beyond painful! I now stress about moving abroad and not being able to afford to get waxed every two weeks, even though I don't really have any plans of moving anywhere in the near future.
    x
    Aria | All Souled Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would wax more but I what with being a student I just can't afford it... so I resort to shaving most of the time! xx

      Delete
  3. You've made some excellent points about getting your legs waxed. It does hurt a little, but the procedure is mercifully short. As long as you keep thinking how difficult it is to shave your legs every other day and deal with painful ingrown hairs, you'll welcome the feeling of the wax pulling out the hairs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife gets her legs waxed on a regular basis. She says it’s a little painful but completely worth it since she doesn't have to shave all the time, especially during the summer. My brother-in-law also gets his legs waxed because he doesn't like his legs being hairy. Overall it seems like the best option for people who don't want leg hair.

    ReplyDelete